1. Develop specific leadership skills critical to organic growth. These include the abilities to encourage people to challenge the status quo while simultaneously maintaining focus on key current priorities, such as driving profits and managing costs.
2. Create a climate for growth. Changing an organization's climate can be one of the fastest ways to achieve growth because it has a direct impact on motivation, which, in turn, affects performance.
3. Forge a better bond with customers. Companies that successfully execute organic growth strategies learn how to generate additional revenue from existing customers and attract new ones by meeting customers' unmet needs.
4. Increase sales force effectiveness by developing skilled sales managers who can instill a strategic focus among their sales teams; provide in-the-trenches coaching; and create a motivating, high-performance climate.
5. Foster more innovation. Companies that grow organically must do a good job of anticipating customers' new or unmet needs, which are particularly fertile territory for future offerings that can fuel growth.