Front-Line Management 101: A Leadership Checkup
When was the last time you went to the doctor for a checkup? If you went in the last year, you’re with the 78 percent of Americans who did so.
When was the last time you had a checkup for your leadership abilities— your raw skills as a leader? Here are five key elements you should look at:
- People Management: All leaders are members of HR—they must know how to manage their employees through the employee supply chain, from interview to onboarding to termination. This includes laws and paperwork required to keep and maintain your employees at work.
- Delegation: You can’t do it on your own—and you shouldn’t. Learn to ask for help.
- Motivation: This is the core of a solid Square Peg Leader—and should be your focus, as well. If you know— and make use of—employees’ key motivators, you can increase their productivity because you’re giving them what they want and need.
- Communication: This is the #1 challenge for leaders. How do you get the message across? How often? Is it informational or instructional? Is your message being received the way it was intended?
- Conflict: Conflict as a leader is not bad—in fact, it’s necessary if you don’t want a roomful of “yes people.” Knowing how to manage the different styles—and when to use them—is an essential leadership tool.
Interested in learning your leadership checkup number? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to take a short Leadership Checkup Assessment.