Make The Most Of Micro-Learning
At Illuminate, we design training programs for sales professionals working in one of today’s most complex and challenging industries: biotech/pharmaceuticals.
When a new drug launches or an existing product needs a boost, salespeople must absorb a tremendous amount of complicated knowledge and then be able to successfully translate that material into compelling and thorough discussions that capture the attention of health-care professionals.
In recent years, we’ve discovered that micro-learning, which breaks down mountains of information into discrete capsules, is a particularly effective vehicle for trainers to deliver dense, challenging material. Here are a few reasons why:
- Learning is easier when key concepts are addressed succinctly. This is not only beneficial to the trainee, but good practice for the trainer, too.
- Studies reveal our attention spans are getting shorter all the time. Micro-learning addresses this growing concern.
- Smaller pieces of information can be addressed sequentially, allowing the trainee to grasp foundational materials first and then build on that knowledge.
- Tackling smaller items is less daunting, and successfully doing so leads to a feeling of accomplishment.
- Learners tend to forget information quickly. Micro-learning both delivers new information and provides an accessible platform for reviewing material.
The key: Identify essential elements and share them in thoughtful, well-crafted capsules that can be accessed when needed.
Shaun McMahon is founder and president of Illuminate (www.illuminate.net).