Sticky Notes: It’s All About YOU!
What gets in the way of your success at work? When I ask that question in interviews and focus groups, 9 out of 10 responses are factors beyond the control of the individual. A few include:
- Company policies, rules, regulations, culture, and standard operating procedures
- Too much work and not enough time
- Conflict between and among employees
- Limited resources
- No clear chain of command
- Too many bosses, each of whom has different performance standards, priorities, management/communication styles, expectations
- Lack of constructive feedback
These are all real challenges, but if you want to be powerful, then you have to focus on the one factor you can always control: YOU. You need to do as much as you can, as well as you can, within whatever limitations you have, wherever you are. You control your own thoughts, words, and actions. You control your guts, attitude, commitment, time, effort, and ideas. You are responsible for playing your role to the best of your ability every day at work. Make sure the first person you are managing every day is yourself.