We’re Only Human
Human Resources leaders are using human-centered approaches in the workplace that may help resolve retention, recruitment, and culture management challenges, according to the 2018 Employee Recognition Report published by Globoforce and the Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM). Based on responses from more than 700 HR professionals employed at organizations with a staff size of 500 or more employees, the report, “Designing Work Cultures for the Human Era,” reveals HR leaders are creating supportive feedback environments throughout the year to improve employee engagement, organizational culture, and the employee experience.
The report’s core findings indicate:
- Many HR leaders feel an employee recognition program helps with employee experience (89 percent), employee relationships (86 percent), organizational culture (85 percent), employee engagement (84 percent), and organizational values (83 percent). Therefore, it’s important for HR leaders to treat employee recognition as not just a program, but a management practice with a real and measurable business impact.
- Values-based recognition remains highest-rated among HR leaders who adopt these programs to reinforce and drive business goals.
- Recognition programs funded at 1 percent or more of payroll are more likely to be rated highly than underfunded programs or programs with zero budget.
- Peer feedback, more frequent reviews or check-ins, and a supportive feedback environment can effectively spur employee growth and development. Additionally, 89 percent of HR leaders surveyed agree ongoing peer feedback and check-ins have a positive impact on their organizations.
- Employees are nearly two times as likely to agree their company is a good place to work when they are very or somewhat satisfied with how life events (i.e., getting married, buying a house, having a child) are celebrated in the workplace (64 percent), compared to those who are very or somewhat dissatisfied with the celebration of life events (35 percent).
To download the full report, visit: http://www.globoforce.com/libraries/downloaddesigning-cultures/