Training Top 125 Best Practice: G4S Values Training and Recognition Program
Private security solutions firm G4S Secure Solutions (USA) Inc. plays a crucial role in society as a trusted partner that cares for and protects people, property, and assets for thousands of businesses and organizations around the globe.
As part of the global transformation of G4S that began in 2013, Group G4S plc conducted an in-depth review of the firm’s values to ensure they remain relevant for the work it does and to meet customer expectations. Following the review, the Global Leadership team first shared the new values in 2016:
- We act with integrity and respect
- We are passionate about safety security and service excellence
- We achieve this through innovation and teamwork
In support of this global effort, the firm needed a training strategy that ensured the new G4S values were fully embedded and understood by G4S employees and clients. The team began by establishing focus groups and discussing the key components of the training strategy. The components included mixed delivery mechanisms, multiple languages, content topic localization, and cost containment.
Step One was the production and release of an animated video that introduced the new values to G4S employees (March 2017). Produced in five different languages, the video has been viewed by all 46,980 employees.
Step Two introduced four specific training resources for the largest staff group: front-line employees. These resources are now part of new hire orientation and annual refresher training for all new and existing employees:
1. E-Learning module: Styled on TV showWho Wants to Be a Millionaire? the e-learning module sought to gamify the values for users who have regular access to the internet (August 2017).
2. PPT: A PowerPoint Card Flip Activity was produced for group session usage such as induction before deployment, shift change, etc. This is the main touchpoint between management and staff in some businesses (June 2018).
3. Flashcards: Several localized flashcards were produced for each country. The cards featured scenarios designed to bring the values to life in one-on-one conversations between supervisor and direct report. They are portable and can be used at G4S and client locations throughout the organization (November 2017).
4. G4S Management Values E-learning Course. This 60-minute course is required for all G4S management and support staff. It is designed to help them think about the everyday things that can be done to align their behaviors and decisions to the firm’s values and remind employees why it’s important to do this. Leaders are required to consider the scenarios included in the course and whether they are doing everything possible to demonstrate the right behaviors and challenge those who aren’t. Implemented in July 2018, more than 5,000 leaders across the region have completed this course to date.
To further support this global initiative, the North America Region launched a Living Our Values Campaign to educate, promote, inspire, and recognize employees for displaying these desired behaviors. The primary method used to embed the values into all of G4S’ North America businesses is a formal recognition program. On April 3, 2018, the campaign kicked off with a LivingOur Valuese-newsletter. The first monthly issue contained instructions and deadlines for submitting nominations for individuals and teams from across all of G4S regional businesses who “live our values” every day. Nominations are accepted for the three values groups, and recognition included:
- A Certificate of Appreciation from their business unit leader
- Inclusion in a monthly Living Our Valuese-newsletter, theHub,and other G4S publications
- Submission into the G4S Global Values Recognition Program
To date, more than 100 individuals and teams have been nominated and 30-plus have been selected for the G4S Global Values Recognition Program award.