No matter how complex and sophisticated training technology may become, to my mind, the most powerful training technology will always be the human element. What are the best ways to optimize the human element in training?
- Approach training relationships by staying focused on what you have to offer learners. Define for yourself the value you intend to add and make it clear to learners.
- Be a model of trust. Take personal responsibility for everything you say and do, hold yourself accountable, and when you make a mistake, apologize and make every effort to fix it.
- Remove your ego. Don’t take yourself too seriously, but always take your commitments and responsibilities seriously.
- Listen carefully. Try not to interrupt or let your mind wander when others are speaking. When it’s your turn, ask open-ended questions first before moving on to more acute questions.
- Empathize. Try to imagine yourself in the learner’s position. Then behave in a way and say the kinds of things you would appreciate hearing under the same circumstances.
- Exhibit respect and kindness. Never share observations that might be insulting and never hesitate to share a compliment.
- Be a motivator. Be enthusiastic and share your positive vision.
- Celebrate success. Give people praise and credit for their achievements, no matter how small.